The Phoenix City Council will divide with the suburb of Glendale the taxes generated at a Major League Baseball spring training complex located within the Phoenix city limits on land that is owned by Glendale.

The Los Angeles Dodgers and the Chicago White Sox share the complex.

Glendale financed the construction of the $80.7 million baseball facility with revenue bonds it issued in 2007. The project includes a proposed 120-acre development with a hotel, golf course, and retail spaces.

Phoenix has agreed to reimburse Glendale for $37 million of infrastructure construction at the complex.

Glendale will receive 80% of the sales tax revenue generated at the ballpark and the proposed mixed-use development, while Phoenix will get the remaining 20%. The agreement will span 40 years, or until the infrastructure costs have been repaid.

The spring training complex, which opened in March, includes a 12,000-seat stadium with 3,000 lawn seats, two major league fields, four minor league fields per team, workout fields, a large clubhouse, and parking for 5,000 vehicles.

Subscribe Now

Independent and authoritative analysis and perspective for the bond buying industry.

14-Day Free Trial

No credit card required. Complete access to articles, breaking news and industry data.