Just weeks after announcing he would step down as emergency manager of Detroit Public Schools, Roy Roberts said last week he would stay for six more months.
He had planned to leave the post when his contract expired May 16.
"As the school year winds down, it is important that students stay on a steady course. Roy's continued guidance will guarantee that essential continuity," Gov. Rick Snyder said in a statement that thanks Roberts for his decision to stay. "I appreciate all that he has done for Detroit's school children and welcome his decision to remain at the district's helm for the next few weeks and months to ensure a smooth, effective leadership transition."
In a statement, Roberts said he asked Snyder if he could stay on to see out the school year.
"DPS is on a good trajectory, with improved test scores and graduation rates, a balanced budget and a solid strategic plan," Roberts said. "I want to do everything I can to ensure that we complete this school year in keeping with this trajectory - and help begin the preparation for an even more successful 2013-2014 academic and fiscal year."
The cash-strapped school district, plagued by falling enrollment and chronic deficits, has been under state control since 2009. Roberts took over in 2011.