Retiring Wisconsin Gov. Jim Doyle Monday said the fate of the $810 million, federally funded high-speed rail line between Madison and Milwaukee is now in the hands of Governor-elect Scott Walker.
Doyle last week called for a temporary construction halt due to statements from Walker, a critic of the train line who says it would cost the state too much to run.
Walker said he would “work with members of Congress on redirecting this money to fixing our crumbing roads and bridges.”
Doyle, who led state efforts to win federal support for the project, said Monday he would not restart the project.
“While I could force the issue, I believe that this project will only be successful in the long run if the state of Wisconsin and the U.S. Department of Transportation are strong partners,” he said in a statement.
Even if the project is canceled, the state would be on the hook for millions tied to existing contracts and $83 million in line upgrades.
U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood warned Walker in a letter Monday that the federal high-speed funds could not be spent on general transportation projects, according to published reports.