Kansas legislative researchers have found eight surplus properties that could be sold for up to $2.2 million, a level that a proponent of the process said was disappointing.

Rep. Virgil Peck, R-Tyro, said the audit of 13 potential sales was helpful but he hoped it would find more value. The study said only eight of the 13 sites reviewed were no longer needed by the state.

“It didn’t yield as much money as I’d hoped that it would,” Peck said of the review by the Kansas Legislative Post Audit Division. “I think this is a good audit and something the Legislature needs to take action on.”

Rep. Bill Feurerborn, D-Garnett, said the $2 million of potential revenue from the real estate sale is dwarfed by the $700 million of income tax cuts authorized by the 2012 Legislature.

The 2011 Legislature directed the Department of Administration to develop a list of surplus state properties that are no longer required.

State law allocates 80% of revenue from surplus property sales to the Kansas Public Employees Retirement System, which has an unfunded liability of $8 billion. The remaining 20% of sales revenue reverts to the agency that held the property.

The audit cost $107,000.

Subscribe Now

Independent and authoritative analysis and perspective for the bond buying industry.

14-Day Free Trial

No credit card required. Complete access to articles, breaking news and industry data.