Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty last week announced a proposed $17 million flood relief and recovery package to help residents and communities in the Red River Valley recover from spring flooding.

“This package will supplement the federal, state, and local work already underway,” the governor said in a statement, adding that the package is preliminary and the numbers likely will change to reflect final damage. The funds are in addition to proposed bonding for future flood-mitigation projects.

The package includes $9.18 million of state and local match funds for Federal Emergency Management Agency disaster assistance. Under federal policy, FEMA reimburses 75% of eligible costs associated with public infrastructure damage caused by the disaster. The state and local communities are responsible for the remaining 25%, but the state aid will fully cover that match.

The package includes $10 million in state general fund cash, $4.4 million of general obligation bonds, $200,000 in trunk highway cash, and $2.7 million of trunk highway bonds.

Subscribe Now

Independent and authoritative analysis and perspective for the bond buying industry.

14-Day Free Trial

No credit card required. Complete access to articles, breaking news and industry data.